The Fringe Mission, Vision and Core Principles
The Fringe Mission
The Festival nurtures emerging and established performing artists by presenting fun, fearless and affordable theater to the community and creating ties between artists, audiences, businesses and local organizations.
We bring fearless performers to fearless audiences.
Fringe is more than a festival. We've got big ideas and a big vision that is about art, community and the cultural economy:
New Orleans has always been a city that embraces artists, where creativity has flourished and the avant-garde has gravitated. These are the roots of the New Orleans Fringe Festival – the festival of the wild, weird, fresh, and original. Anything can be performed: we let the audiences decide what is excellent, astonishing or brilliantly insane.
The New Orleans Fringe Festival is a year-round community connector: we bring venues, resources, artists and audiences together for events that contribute to the cultural strengthening and renewal of New Orleans. We plan to do this through several activities:
- the annual Festival
- year-round events
- outreach programs
- theater training workshops
Cultural Economic Development
The New Orleans Fringe Festival contributes to the local and regional cultural economy by:
- attracting regional, national and international theater groups and audiences to the city during the festival and events
- generating income for local artists and venues through ticket sales and fees
- providing emerging artists with opportunities to showcase their talent and exposure to launch their work
- nurturing the growing pool of creative and technical talent in New Orleans and Louisiana in order to complement and enhance mainstream cultural economic development initiatives.
Three Core Principles: fringiness, quality, inclusiveness
We have have three core principles:
These aren't just abstract ideas to us....we do our very best to put these principles into practice in what we do and the decisions that we make.