Perform at Fringe-Managed Venues
The Fringe-managed venue application period is now closed.
Interested in applying in 2015? Here is where you find out how to perform in our Fringe-managed venues....
What is a Fringe-managed venue?
The Festival manages up to six venues, with four performing groups per venue. Each performing group will have four performances (all four performances will be in the same space). This gives us space for up to 24 performing groups.
The Fringe equips the venue and provides the staff to run it. Each venue will have basic lighting and sound. There will be an experienced technician for each venue and you will have a two hour technical rehearsal time in the days before Fringe. You are expected to provide a production or stage manager and the crew necessary to set and strike (if necessary). Each company is allowed 15 minutes for set up, and 10 minutes for strike. The audience is seated during the fifteen minutes prior to show time. You’ll be sharing a venue, a light plot, and little (if any) storage space at your venue with other shows. Each venue is unique in staging and seating capacity, ranging in size from 50 –125 seats. Fringe also provides the front-of-house team to manage box office.You will be provided with site specifications and other details at a later date. Click here to view the venues that have been in the festival.
Bring Your Own Venues (BYOVs) are the other type of venue option. BYOVs are artist-run venues. Click here to find out more about BYOVs.
What types of shows do we accept?
Virtually any type of theater performance is welcome to apply. We particularly encourage original works or innovative adaptations. Categories include: cabaret, circus arts, comedy, dance, drama, immersive experience, improvisational, interdisciplinary, live documentary, multimedia, musical theater, puppetry, storytelling, burlesque, sideshow, spoken word/poetry, variety and other creative madness.
All shows must be between 30 and 60 minutes.
We do not accept shows that will be produced in full in New Orleans in the four months preceding the Fringe Festival.
How do you apply?
Complete an application form and send it to us by July 2. There is a $25 non-refundable application fee for each submission. Important: You don't have to have a completed show ready by July 2; just give us a really good description of what you want to do!
Fringe created a unique peer review selection process to best identify shows that are both fringe-y and have high artistic merit. Sixteen accomplished local artists, who represent the diverse theater disciplines and faces of New Orleans, individually evaluate the applications. The process is fair, systematic and based on the weight of the work.
Click here for the complete story on the selection process.
What are your costs and responsibilities?
You pay the $25 non-refundable application fee. If you are selected, then you cover all of your production and travel costs (props, costumes, perfomers' pay, gas, performance rights, salty snacks, etc.). We do not charge you a performance fee. That's because we want you to take artistic risks, not financial ones.
Remember: Fringe only presents your show; you produce it. That means that casting, rehearsals, performances and all related costs are your responsibility.
What about ticket sales?
Box office returns for your show are split 50/50 between you and Fringe (the exception is the Bring Your Own Venue option where you keep all returns).
Date Entries Open
Applications are posted on April 15.
Date Entries Close
Application form and checks or PayPal receipts must be postmarked or hand-delivered by July 2. Mail or drop off applications at New Orleans Fringe Inc., 734 France Street, New Orleans, LA 70117.
We expect that all companies accepted into The Festival will be available for the entire duration of the event. If a company's availability is limited for whatever reason, please advise us well in advance.
More questions!? Okay, keep reading...
When will I know if I get in?
You will receive confirmation by phone or e-mail regarding your status by August 15. Once the performance slots are filled, applicants will be placed on a waiting list. You will receive notification of your status. If you are put on our waiting list, you may withdraw at any time.
What happens if I get in?
If your show is accepted to the festival, you are given a slot in which to produce your show. This is important: We are not producing your show, we are presenting it. You must hire your own cast, crew, and staff, secure your own rights, and run your own rehearsals, etc.
- The Fringe provides you with a venue equipped with basic sound and lighting and one technician. You do not have to pay for the venue (unless you are a Bring Your Own Venue group; see that section for more information.).
- The Fringe provides four people per venue to help run the Festival: Venue Technician, House Manager and two Box Office Volunteers. These people have specific jobs; they will not be able to help you unpack props, change sets, stage manage, or perform!
- You will have one technical rehearsal scheduled November 18 or 19.
- ALL PERFORMERS AND CREW must individually sign a waiver and release form before tech rehearsal, and each performing group will be asked to provide a W-9. Failure to provide signed forms will result in cancellation of the show. Samples of forms are on our web site.
- You will perform at four (4) times in one of our venues. All of your performances will be in the same venue. You must perform all four times.
- You receive 50% of the box office receipts for your show. These will be mailed to you via check two weeks after the Festival.
- Artists will be invited to attend our orientation meetings (dates to be announced).
- You will be included in Fringe promotions, including the official program, our Web site and overall event publicity. You are also strongly encouraged to promote your show.
What if I don't get in?
Consider the Bring Your Own Venue (BYOV) option, where you line up your own space but we put you in all of the publicity and the program.
What is the performance schedule?
Every show gets four (4) performance times. Shows run from 5:00 pm to 12 midnight. Each show will be a maximum of one hour, with an hour between shows. To be as fair as possible we will do our best to ensure that every performer gets at least one prime time slot.
Never produced a show before?
- Applications are accepted by mail, courier (such as FedEx or UPS) or hand-delivered to the Fringe office. Applications must be postmarked or received by JULY 2. WE DO NOT ACCEPT APPLICATIONS BY EMAIL.
- A company or artist may submit more than one application. However, only one application will be accepted to the Festival at most. Each application must be accompanied by the application fee. Performers and crew may choose to be involved in more than one production. They will be responsible for ensuring that no scheduling conflicts prevent or interfere with any performances. The Fringe will not adjust any scheduling to accommodate performers appearing in more than one production. Double casting is discouraged.
- We expect that all companies accepted into the Festival will be available for the entire duration of the event for all four performances. If a company's availability is limited for whatever reason, please warn us when submitting the application.
- If your application is incomplete, it will not be reviewed, nor will it be returned to you. Please submit only complete applications. Additional support materials may not be added to your application after the deadline.
- Please do not contact us to see if your application has been received and/or is complete. We will email you when we have received your application generally within ten days. If you want further confirmation of receipt, send your application via some method that you can track (i.e. USPS, FedEx or UPS).
- None of your materials can be returned to you. Please do not send original or irreplaceable materials.
- You can pay with PayPal, check or money order. To pay with PayPal visit www.nofringe.org (there is an additional $1 service charge for payments via PayPal). Include a copy of your PayPal receipt with your application. If paying by check or money order, make payable to New Orleans Fringe Inc. and write the title of your show on the memo line.
Ready to apply?
Applications for 2014 are no longer available. CLICK HERE FOR THE APPLICATION PROCESS FOR 2015